|Stagg Memorial Stadium||Facilities Home >>
3601 Pacific Ave Stockton,
View Larger Map
|Home to Women's Soccer|
About Amos Alonzo Stagg Memorial Stadium
The former site of University of the Pacific women's soccer games was Amos Alonzo Stagg Memorial Stadium. Formerly known as Pacific Memorial Stadium, the 44-year old, 30,000-seat earth-filled structure was renamed in 1988 in honor of "The Grand Old Man of Football", who ended his storied coaching career at Pacific, from 1933 to 1946. It also was the site of all University of the Pacific home football games from 1950 until 1995. The stadium was temporarily closed at the end of February, 2012.
Stagg Memorial Stadium is located on the west edge of the Pacific campus along Pershing Avenue. It is adjacent to the Alex G. Spanos Center, home of Tiger basketball and volleyball, Chris Kjeldsen Pool, where Tiger water polo and swim teams compete, and Bill Simoni Field, where Tiger women's softball plays. The land was donated by Mr. Stagg himself.
Through the efforts of then-University Regent Lowell Berry, construction began in May 1950 and was completed for the season's home opener against Loyola on October 21st, in front of a crowd of 32,000. The stadium was rededicated in Stagg's honor on October 15, 1988.
The natural turf stadium was built with an original seating capacity of 35,975 with room for expansion to over 44,000, but a series of structural changes have since reduced its capacity to 28,000.
Another improvement came in 1982 with the addition of a 17-by-35-foot computerized scoreboard. The unit was installed at a cost of $140,000 and was first used in the home opener that year against UC Davis.
Resting on the stadium's east rim, directly across from the press box, is the beautiful Pacific Club, which was dedicated on September 8, 1973. Built at a cost of $250,000, the Pacific Club was a gift from Pacific Regent and former Tiger Athlete Alex G. Spanos. It features glass walls on both sides and offers magnificent view of both the Pacific campus and the playing field. It seats 300 people for meals and is used for a variety of university functions when not in use during athletic events.
An improved lighting system was added to Stagg Stadium in August 1986 through the efforts of Tiger boosters Ralph McClure, Bob Eberhardt, Jim Anthony and the Bank of Stockton. The last upgrade to the stadium was in 1997 in advance of 49ers Training Camp when all stairways were cemented and the remaining wooden bleachers were replaced with aluminum.