Tigers Drop Close One At Hawaii, 75-70

Tigers Drop Close One At Hawaii, 75-70

Honolulu, Hawaii - The Pacific men's basketball team dropped a 75-70 decision at Hawaii on Friday, Nov. 25 at the Stan Sheriff Center. With the loss, the Tigers dropped to 2-2 on the season. Hawaii improved to 2-2.

The Tigers started out with an 8-2 lead, getting three-pointers from junior Lorenzo McCloud and sophomore Markcus Falley. The Warriors then outscored the Tigers 7-2, cutting the lead to 10-9 with 15:07 left. With Pacific trailing 14-12, sophomore Khalil Kelley scored four straight points for the Tigers to take a 16-14 lead. The Warriors scored four in a row right after, to take the lead back at 18-16 and Hawaii held the lead the rest of the half. Hawaii pushed out to a 33-25 lead, led by 17 points from Zane Johnson. The Tigers finished the half with an 8-3 run over the final 3:20, getting five points from junior Colin Beatty to make it 36-33 at the break. After playing turnover-free ball for the first 9:00 minutes, the Tigers committed 10 turnovers in the final 11 minutes.

The Warriors opened up a 45-39 lead in the early moments of the second half, but four in a from the Tigers on baskets by Falley and junior Rundell Mauge took the lead back down to two (45-43) with 14:58 to play in the game. The Rainbow Warriors scored the next six points to push the lead back to 51-43 with 10:57 to go. McCloud scored five points for the Tigers to bring the score back to 53-48, but Hawaii again pushed it back to a nine point lead (59-50) with 8:02 to go after a 7-2 run. With Hawaii maintaining a nine point lead, the Tigers used a 7-0 run to cut the deficit to two (63-61) with 4:20 to play. McCloud hit four free throws and junior Markus Duran nailed a three-pointer in the run.  Three free throws pushed it back to a five point lead for Hawaii (66-61), but the Tigers got a jumper from junior Travis Fulton and two more free throws from McCloud made it a 66-65 game with 2:33 to play. After trading baskets, the Warriors took a 70-67 lead with :32 seconds left on a layup by Trevor Wiseman. Sophomore Trevin Harris nailed a three-pointer with :13 seconds left to even it at 70-70. Garrett Jefferson rebounded a missed three-pointer and got a putback with :03 seconds left and was fouled on the play to give Hawaii a 73-70 lead. The ensuing inbounds pass was ruled to be tipped out of bounds by the Tigers, giving the Warriors possession and hit a pair of free throws to seal the win.

McCloud led the Tigers with a career-high 23 points, hitting 11 of 15 free throws. Mauge had 10 points for his first career double figure game. The Tigers were outscored in the paint 34-18, but held a 27-15 advantage in points off the bench. The Tigers shot 75.0% (21-28) from the free throw line, while Hawaii was 20-25 (80.0%).

Pacific is next in action with a road game at Stanford on Monday, Nov. 28. The tipoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.