Tigers Draw A Tie with Visiting Broncos

Photo by Kieth Sanpei
Photo by Kieth Sanpei

Stockton, Calif. – The Pacific men's soccer team couldn't find the second goal they needed as they drew a 1-1 tie with the visiting Santa Clara Broncos. The draw brings the Tigers to 10-3-1 overall, 2-1-1 in WCC play and brings the Broncos to 5-7-1, 0-3-1 in conference action.

"You have the defending WCC Champions so they're going to have a lot of pride coming out, and we did a lot of good things on the night and created a lot of chances so there were some real positives there," said head coach Ryan Jorden. "Obviously we're really disappointed we couldn't convert the second one there to put ourselves in a position to get the winning result."

In the 21st minute Santa Clara got on the board on a Carlos Delgadillo header that got past Curtis Goldsmith. The lead didn't last long as roughly a minute later Andres Ochoa lined up for a free kick following a foul about 25 yards out. Ochoa sent the ball into the box which was headed by Anthony Orendain, but was saved by Bronco goalie Pasha Hashemi. The resulting rebound found forward Tristan Blackmon who was able to fire it past the 'keeper to knot the score at one goal apiece for his third goal of the season.

The Tigers looked to add one more before the half in the 28th minute as Esteban De La Torre found fellow senior Julio Cervantes with a step advantage over his defender streaking down the field. Cervantes had a good look but the defender was able to block the shot from behind, negating the Pacific attack.  

In the second half the Tigers really pushed to find that second goal. In the closing minutes of regulation Bob Groenendyk fired off a shot that was deflected by Hashemi and found Blackmon who one timed a bullet that was contained by Hashemi. Pacific rifled off ten shots in the final 45 minutes, none of which could find the goal and we headed to overtime.

The Orange and Black continued to press the Bronco defense looking for that golden goal. Pacific would take two more shots in overtime but to no avail. Defensively the Tigers worked hard to deny any Bronco chance, despite the visitors taking five shots in the final 20 minutes. This was the second consecutive tie the Tigers had with the Broncos as last season's matchup ended in a 0-0 draw.
Next up for the Tigers is a showdown with San Francisco next Saturday at 7 PM. This game will be the second part of a double header with the women's soccer team who play at 1 PM against BYU. Both these games will be available via live stream courtesy of theW.tv.