Men's Tennis Falls To Santa Clara
Santa Clara, Calif. - The Pacific men's tennis team was downed by Santa Clara, 4-0, Saturday afternoon at Degheri Tennis Center in Santa Clara.
"It was a tough match today," Director of Tennis and Head Men's Tennis Coach Ryan Redondo said. "We had match points to clinch the doubles point which is very important against a team like this. But we didn't get it done and had some tough battles in singles. It wasn't a great day for us and there were some great levels of play from Santa Clara. We will definitely be looking to peak this coming week."
In doubles action, the tandem of Daniel Alameh and Marlon Brand fell 8-7 in the fourth tiebreaker to John Lamble and Ilya Osintsev. Denis Stolyarov and Sem Verbeek found themselves in the unhappy side of the fifth tie-breaker, 8-7 (5) to Ashot Khacharyan and Mikheil Khmiadashvilli. Miguel Diaz and Alex Hamilton won the other doubles contest, 8-6, over Sam Bertram and Michael Tjuatjadarma.
In singles play, Lamble topped Verbeek, 6-3, 6-4, in first position. Khacharyan took a 6-3, 6-2 win in third singles over Miguel Diaz. Betram downed Erik Cederwall, 6-3, 6-2, in the sixth spot for the victory.
Alameh was leading Khmiadashvilli, 6-4, 6-5 in the fourth spot when Santa Clara clinched the match. Stolyarov against Osintsev in second position and Tjuatjadarma and Alex Hamilton's battle in fifth position also did not finish.
Pacific falls to 11-11 overall and 4-5 in West Coast Conference play. The Tigers will head to the WCC Championships in San Diego, April 24-26.
1. Lamble (SCU) def. Verbeek (PAC); 6-3, 6-4
2. Osintsev (SCU) vs Stolyarov (PAC); 6-7 (7), 3-4 DNF
3. Khacharyan (SCU) def. Miguel Diaz (PAC); 6-3, 6-2
4. Daniel Alameh (PAC) vs Khmiadashvilli (SCU); 6-4, 6-5 DNF
5. Tjuatjadarma (SCU) vs Alex Hamilton (PAC) 6-3, 3-6, 1-2 DNF
6. Bertram (SCU) def. Erik Cederwall (PAC) 6-3, 6-2
1. Lamble/Osintsev (SCU) def. Alameh/Brand (PAC), 8-7 (4)
2. Khacharyan/Khmiadashvilli (SCU) def. Stolyarov/Verbeek (PAC), 8-7 (5)
3. Miguel Diaz /Hamilton (PAC) def. Betram/Tjuatjadarma (SCU), 8-6