Tigers Defeat BYU In WCC Championships Opening Round
San Diego, Calif. - The Pacific men's tennis team advanced at the WCC Championships with a 4-2 victory over Brigham Young at the Barnes Tennis Center on Wednesday, April 23. The Tigers will now face Portland in the quarterfinals on Thursday, April 24. Pacific improved to 12-11 on the season, while the Cougars dropped to 10-15.
"I am really proud of the determination from the team," said Director of Tennis and Head Men's Tennis Coach Ryan Redondo. "From start to finish, they executed. Tomorrow is a new test that we will look to be determined and hungry."
In doubles action, the duos of Daniel Alameh and Marlon Brand and Miguel Diaz and Alex Hamilton each picked up victories to give the Tigers the doubles point.
In singles play, Denis Stolyarov and Diaz both started off with victories. After BYU won at No. 5 and No. 6, Alameh came back to win the final two sets and clinch the match for Pacific with a 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 win.
1. Alameh/Brand (PAC) def. Goryachkov/Pfister (BYU) 8-5
2. Stolyarov/Verbeek (PAC) vs. Sargeant/Pearce (BYU) DNF
3. Diaz/Hamilton (PAC) def. Sullivan/Bourgeois (BYU) 8-4
1. Sem Verbeek (PAC) vs. Francis Sargeant (BYU) 1-6, 7-5, 2-3 DNF
2. Stolyarov (PAC) def. Andrey Goryachkov (BYU) 7-6 (5), 6-2
3. Miguel Diaz (PAC) def. Jeremy Bourgeois (BYU) 6-3, 7-6 (4)
4. Daniel Alameh (PAC) def. Matthew Pearce (BYU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Jacob Sullivan (BYU) def. Alex Hamilton (PAC) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
6. Aidan Carrazedo (BYU) def. Marlon Brand (PAC) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1