Tigers Upset Portland In WCC Quarterfinals
San Diego, Calif. - The Pacific men's tennis team advanced at the WCC Championships with a 4-3 upset victory over No. 3 seed Portland at the Barnes Tennis Center on Thursday, April 24. The Tigers will now face Pepperdine in the semifinals on Friday, April 25. Pacific improved to 13-11 on the season, while the Pilots finished the season at 13-9.
"I am very proud of the team effort today," said Director of Tennis and Head Men's Tennis Coach Ryan Redondo. "It wasn't easy and the guys had their backs against the wall. Portland is such a tough team, however, This team battles and knows their is a solution to everything they experience. We have seen all these teams and I continue to believe we have something to execute. We have nothing to lose and will come out ready for battle."
After Portland took the doubles point in comeback fashion, it was up to the Tigers to win four of the six singles matches. That was exactly what they did. After splitting the first four singles matches, Daniel Alameh rallied to win 3-6, 6-1, 6-1 over Justin Guay at No. 4 and Sem Verbeek split the first two sets at No. 1 against Michel Hu Kwo before winning 6-4 in the match deciding set.
1. Reid deLaubenfels/Kent Andreasen (POR) def. Marlon Brand/Daniel Alameh (PAC) 8-1
2. Justin Guay/Michel Hu Kwo (POR) def. Denis Stolyarov/Sem Verbeek (PAC) 8-7 (1)
3. Miguel Diaz/Alex Hamilton (PAC) def. Ratan Gill/Alex Wallace (POR) 8-5
1. Sem Verbeek (PAC) def. Michel Hu Kwo (POR) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
2. Reid deLaubenfels (POR) def. Denis Stolyarov (PAC) 6-1, 6-1
3. Ratan Gill (POR) def. Miguel Diaz (PAC) 6-2, 6-2
4. Daniel Alameh (PAC) def. Justin Guay (POR) 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
5. Alex Hamilton (PAC) def. Alex Wallace (POR) 6-1, 6-0
6. Ben Mirkin (PAC) def. Kent Andreasen (POR) 6-3, 6-4