San Diego, Calif. - The Pacific men's tennis team fell at the WCC Championships with a 4-2 loss to No. 2 seed Pepperdine in the semifinals at the Barnes Tennis Center on Friday, April 25. Pacific dropped to 13-12 on the season, while the Waves improved to 17-12.
"Today was a tough day. We came out of the gates ready and took the doubles point," said Director of Tennis and Head Men's Tennis Coach Ryan Redondo. "We had so many opportunities that weren't capitalized, had we taken a couple of them, I believe we would have given ourselves the win. I am proud of the team for their competitiveness and dedication throughout this season. This is yet another stepping stone to building our program and improving. I expected us to give ourselves the opportunity in this new WCC conference and we will look to make that next jump next year."
The Tigers took the doubles point, with No. 1 team Marlon Brand and Daniel Alameh defeating No. 14 ranked Alex Sarkissian and Francis Alcantara 8-7. Denis Stolyarov and Sem Verbeek won at No. 2 doubles. Brand won at No. 5 singles, while Stolyarov and Mirkin went to a third set, but the Waves won at No. 1-4 singles to clinch the match and advance to the championship match against San Diego.
1. Marlon Brand/Daniel Alameh (PAC) def. #14 Alex Sarkissian/Francis Alcantara (PEP) 8-7 (7-2)
2. Denis Stolyarov/Sem Verbeek (PAC) def. Tom Hill/Rakshay Thakkar (PEP) 8-3
3. David Sofaer/Pedro Leme (PEP) def. Miguel Diaz/Alex Hamilton (PAC) 8-3
1. #31 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. Sem Verbeek (PAC) 6-4, 6-3
2. Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Denis Stolyarov (PAC) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
3. David Sofaer (PEP) def. Miguel Diaz (PAC) 7-5, 7-5
4. Stefan Menichella (PEP) def. Daniel Alameh (PAC) 6-3, 6-3
5. Marlon Brand (PAC) def. Rakshay Thakkar (PEP) 6-4, 6-4
6. Pedro Leme (PEP) vs. Ben Mirkin (PAC) 6-4, 6-7 (7-9), unfinished