SEATTLE, Wash. – The University of the Pacific men's tennis team competed in day one of the ITA Northwest Regionals on Thursday, October 11.
In Case You Missed It:
Round 1 singles:
- Ross Watson battled his way to victory over Charles Roberts of Oregon in three sets, 6-3, 3-6, 6-2.
- Philip Hjorth cruised his way to victory over Eastern Washington's Mikayel Khachatryan in two sets 6-4, 6-0.
- Akram El Sallaly defeated A. Mariyappa of West Coast Conference opponent Portland in a 6-2 victory in set one before Mariyappa was retired in set two at 3-0.
- Tadiwa Chinamo claimed a victory over WCC opponent Andrew Newell of Portland in two straight sets 6-1, 6-4.
- Johnathan Lieu fell to Piers Foley of Washington in two sets, but put up a fight in set one forcing a tiebreaker before dropping 7-6 (4) in set one and 6-4 in set two.
- John Horoz Garner dropped in his match to Enzo Sommer of Washington in two straight sets 6-3, 6-3.
Coach Redondo's Comments:
"I thought we came out really low in doubles today as a team. It seemed like everyone was in different places to start the morning and it was not to our standard of doubles across the board. We will have to go back and train and discipline the fundamentals when we get back to Stockton. We had a good team meeting after the doubles and went through what our team and individual goals and values were. It was very encouraging to the team to get on track and have some great singles matches to start the tournament. I saw improvement from each guy in some form and was happy to see four of the six guys move on through their first rounds with victories. I thought John Lieu had a lot of chances to take his first-round match against a strong and experienced UW player but backed off just a bit and Zeki showed he had some opportunity against UW top player. I am looking forward to seeing the guys compete and get after their matches tomorrow. All matches will be stronger than they were today, so definitely a great opportunity to improve."
Pacific continues its action at the ITA Northwest Regionals in round two on Friday, October 12.