Tigers Advance To The Finals After A 4-3 Victory Over Cal Poly
Indian Wells, Calif. - The Tigers made a tremendous comeback against the Cal Poly Mustangs who were seeded right above the Tigers in the No. 2 spot for the Big West Championships. Pacific was initially down 0-3, but fought back and won four of the singles matches sealing the win with a 4-3 final score in favor of the Tigers. The Tigers now find themselves in the finals.
After having lost the doubles point to the Mustangs, the Tigers continued to struggle against Cal Poly having lost the No. 1 and 6 singles putting the match count at 0-3 for the Tigers. Then things turned around and Pacific gained momentum winning singles matches in the No. 2, 3, and 4 positions.
The final match was well underway, and it featured sophomore Alex Golding who was extremely focused and determined to earn a win for the Tigers and secure their place in the finals. The match was intense, but Alex continued to fight against Marco Comuzzo who had had a solid season at the No. 5 spot for Cal Poly. The set scores indicated that it was anyone's match going back and forth 6-4 and then 1-6. In the third set, the score was tied 6-6 which resulted in a tiebreaker in which Alex Golding pulled ahead and proved victorious.
To catch the final match point go to http://www.youtube.com/user/BigWestConference?feature=mhum#p/u/0/pfkqdA_VywM to see Alex Golding earn his win against Marco Comuzzo.
1. Andre Dome/ Alex Sonesson vs. Ivan Castro / Alex Golding Cal Poly 8-3
2. Marco Comuzzo/ Jordan Bridge vs. Fernando Ristow / Angus Thomson DNF
3. Brian McPhee/Drew Jacobs vs. Artem Gramma/ Tomasz Krzyszkowski Cal Poly 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3*
1. Andre Dome (CP) vs. Artem Gramma (PAC) Dome (CP) 6-1, 6-2
2. Alexander Sonesson vs. Tomasz Krzyszkowski Krzyszkowski (PAC) 6-4, 6-1
3. Jordan Bridge (CP) vs. Fernando Ristow (PAC) Ristow (PAC) 6-0, 2-6, 6-3
4. Brian McPhee (CP) vs. Ivan Castro (PAC) Castro (PAC) 7-6 (11), 6-3
5. Marco Comuzzo (CP) vs. Alex Golding (PAC) Golding (PAC) 6-4, 1-6, 7-6 (3)
6. Sebastion Bell (CP) vs. Lance Dugan (PAC) Bell (CP) 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5**
*Denotes Doubles securing win
**Denotes Match securing win
(#3) Pacific 4, (#2) Cal Poly 3
Season Records: CP (14-6), PAC (13-10