STOCKTON, Calif. - The men's water polo team looks to make a statement at the annual Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) Invite this weekend in Palo Alto, CA.
Hosted by Stanford, the Tigers (6-5) will take on the Anteaters of UC Irvine (5-7) in a rematch of the two teams following a slim 11-9 victory last Friday by UOP.
Match Day Info:
No. 6 Pacific (6-5) vs. No. 12 UC Irvine (5-7) | Friday, October 12th, | 5:30 PM PST
Location: Avery Pool (Stanford)
Weather: 76 ℉. Plenty of sunshine. Winds NNW at 8 mph.
Last Time Out:
- The Tigers battled through adversity and escaped a close 11-9 match in their first conference game of the season last Friday at UCI. Luke Pavillard carried the Orange and Black finishing with five goals and a total of seven points on the night.
The Power of Pavillard:
- The redshirt junior has shined in the Tigers' first 11 matches of the year.
- Pavillard leads the team in goals (40), points scored (57), and shot percentage (.482). Both of Pavillard's goals and points rank second in the Golden Coast Conference.
- The Perth, Australia native also has played a tremendous role on the defensive end recording a team-leading 17 steals to go along with seven field blocks.
- Pavillard has eight hat tricks on the year. The Tigers are 6-2 when Pavillard scores three or more goals.
- Pacific's trio of of Luis Araya, Engin Ege Colak, and Luke Pavillard continue to fuel a young talented squad.
- Pavillard and Colak sit in the top five in conference in both goals and points scored. All three players rank in the top five in points with 57, 46, and 44 respectively.
- Araya ranks first in conference with 26 assists. The junior attacker has recorded more than one assists on eight occassions this year including two-five assist performances.
- Bogdan Djerkovic also continues to impress as one of Pacific's freshman standouts. The Ottowa, Canada native has eclipsed the double-digit mark in goals with 11 and holds a .393 shooting clip from the field. Djerkovic also leads the Orange and Black with 14 drawn exclusions.
By the Numbers:
- As a team, Pacific holds a shooting percentage of .392 percent.
- The Tigers have found ways to apply pressure to their opponents averaging a collective 9.36 steals per match.
- The Orange and Black also have been able to move the ball and find the open man, averaging 7.91 assists per game and 87 in total for the season.
Scouting UC Irvine:
- The Anteaters have lost three consecutive matches, falling to No. 2 UCLA, No. 4 Cal, and the Tigers last weekend.
- Jack Trush led the way for UCI in their last meeting recording four goals and 12 shots on goal.
- Trush is paired with Jason Evezard as Evezard has the most goals for the Anteaters with 36.
- Irvine has carried an average of 11.33 goals heading into their contests. They also hold their opponents to an average of 9.52 ppg.
- The Tigers are 15-39 overall in their all-time series against the Anteaters. Pacific has also won it's past seven contests versus UCI.
- The MPSF Invite will be held on the campus of Stanford University at both the Belardi Pool and Avery Pool.
- Teams competing in this weekend's festivities include: Air Force, Cal, LMU, Long Beach State, Pacific, Pepperdine, Pomona, San Jose State, Santa Clara, Stanford, UCLA, UCSB, and USC.
- The Tigers are set for Game #8 of the tournament against UCI and will face either the winner or loser of Game 6 (Stanford vs. San Jose State).