STOCKTON, Calif. - Behind the double-double from Jenelle Grant, the Tigers powered their way to a 106-97 victory over San Jose State Friday afternoon at the Alex G. Spanos Center in the second game of the Tiger Turkey Tip-Off.
The win brings the Tigers to 3-1 overall, while the Spartans fall to 1-3.
In Case You Missed It
- The Tigers came ready to play scoring 31 points in the first quarter after going on a 13-1 run in the first five minutes. Pacific never trailed in the first as they made 12 of their 18 shots.
- Grant sank nine shots for a career high 22 points while also grabbing 15 rebounds in 36 minutes bringing her to an average of 12.3 rebounds per game. After the first quarter, Grant registered 12 of her 22 points as she was perfect going 5-5 with two from behind the arc.
- Five Tigers scored in double digits, including three (all starters) with over 20 points - Grant (22), Desire Finnie (22), GeAnna Luaulu-Summers (21), Ameela Li (14), Anaya Brooklyn McDavid (11).
- The 106 total points from the Tigers makes it the most points Pacific has scored against a Division I team in program history.
Head Coach Bradley Davis' Take
San Jose did a great job controlling the tempo of the game and we know they like to play fast as do we. I was really proud of how Desire and Jenelle responded coming off the Davis game and they both shot over 50%. Jenelle filled up the stat lines and Desire came in big in the fourth quarter along with Brooklyn hitting some big shots as well.
What You Need To Know
- IF YOU AIN'T FIRST, YOU'RE LAST - The 31 points in the first quarter was a season-high for the Tigers, breaking their previous season high of 30 points against UC Merced. Also in the first, Pacific also reached a new season-high of 3FG% making 60% of their shots.
- LEADERS: The Tigers led for a total of 32 minutes, and held the lead until late in the third quarter.
- ADVANTAGE TIGERS: Pacific held the advantage against the Spartans in field-goal percentage (51-45), free-throw percentage (69-66), rebounds (49), second chance points (17-14), points in the paint (56-40), fast break points (10-4), and steals (9-6).
- IT'S STILL LUAULU-SUMMERS TIME: Luaulu-Summers extends her streak of straight games scoring in double digits to five games after racking up 21 points against the Spartans.
Day two of the Tiger Turkey Tip-Off continues Saturday with the Tigers taking on Brown for the first time in program history at approximately 3:30 p.m PST. San Jose State takes on Hampton in the first game at 1 p.m. PST. Live stats are available for both contests and a free live stream is available for free via TheW.tv.
Follow the Tigers
For more information about the Pacific women's basketball team, be sure to follow @Pacific_Hoops on Twitter and @pacificwbb on Instagram.
Pacific women's basketball fans can follow all of the action as if they were in the front row of every game, providing access to score updates, statistics, game recaps and more with the new Pacific Tigers Front Row app available for free in the App Store and Google Play.