MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich. – A strong, powerful offense carried the University of the Pacific field hockey team (3-2) to a 7-0 victory over the Central Michigan Chippewas (1-4) on Thursday afternoon.
In Case You Missed It:
- The Tigers' struck within the first six minutes of the game to get on the board, 1-0. Gaby de Kock pushed the ball out on the penalty corner for Nthabi Maine to stop it and set up Kriekie van Wyk for the goal.
- In the final three minutes of the first, Rylee Comeau fed van Wyk for her second goal of the game and gave Pacific a 2-0 lead at the half.
- Marlise van Tonder held a shutout through the first half, as Pacific's offense kept Central on the defensive.
- Tigers' momentum carried through the second half, as Lindsie Rogers found a loose ball in front of the net to score within the first three minutes of the second to push the lead to 3-0.
- Pacific's hot streak kept going, as Gabriella Fondario and Maine each scored a goal within a minute of each other. Maine was fed a one timer from Justine van Lathem just inside the arc to push it past the face of the goalkeeper.
- Central Michigan notched its first shot game in the final 10 minutes of the second half.
- In the final five minutes, freshman Sophia Lizalde scored her first collegiate goal, while Tayler Silacci insured the win with her first goal of the season.
By the Numbers:
- Rogers, Maine, and Lizalde all scored their first career goals in the second half.
- The Tigers offense was a force, outshooting the Chippewas, 21-1.
- Van Tonder recorded her second season shutout in the 7-0 victory over CMU.
Coach Smith's Comments:
"I thought we played fantastically well and performed throughout. We hit the ground running as soon as the lights went green at the beginning of the game. We played some wonderful hockey and had a purple patch in the middle of the game when we scored 4 goals in 13 minutes. We look forward to tomorrow when the Black and Orange army gets to take on the Maize & Blue on their new blue turf in Ann Arbor."
Pacific continues its road trip to #7 Michigan on Friday, September 7 with game time set for 4:00 p.m. PST.