Santa Barbara, Calif.-
Pacific kicked off the match with a solid win in the doubles bracket by securing the No. 1 spot with a solid score of 8-4. However, the Tigers couldn't secure the last two victories. Though the Tigers played solid doubles they dropped the doubles point to the Gauchos.
In the singles competitions, the Tigers still faced a great deal of adversity and found themselves in trouble early on. Though junior Julia Hansen proved victorious in her match which was a brutal battle lasting three sets, Pacific couldn't gain the overall match win against the Gauchos.
At the conclusion of the match, Coach Chino commented on the match, "UC Santa Barbara was too solid at the middle to bottom of the singles line-up for us today. We actually played very solid doubles in all three matches, even up 6-3 at No. 2 doubles, having already a win at No. 1. We just struggled to close out that match and thus lost the doubles point. The bright spot of the day was Julia Hansen coming back from being down a set and behind 4-0 in the second to win that set and force a match tie-break. She played a smart tie break and won it 10-6. Julia showed her toughness and ability to overcome adversity from both inside the court and outside with spectators. We will be ready for Cal Poly tomorrow."
The Tigers will now prepare to face the Cal Poly Mustangs in San Luis Obispo on February 26th.
1. Julia Hansen/Iveta Masarova (Pacific) def. Kiersten Meehan/Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) 8-4
Order of Completion: 1, 3, 2*
1. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) def. Iveta Masarova (Pacific) 6-4, 7-6(5)
2. Julia Hansen (Pacific) def. Sofia Novak (UCSB) 5-7, 7-5, 1-0(6)
3. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) def. Susan Te (Pacific) 6-3, 6-2
4. April Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Gergana Boncheva (Pacific) 6-1, 6-1
5. Paola Cos (UCSB) def. Summer Irvin (Pacific) 6-1, 6-0
6. Erica Cano (USCB) def. Regina Suarez (Pacific) 6-1, 6-3
Order of completion: 5, 4, 3**, 6, 1 , 2
* Denotes doubles securing point
** Denotes match securing win
Final Score: Pacific 1, UCSB 6