LAS VEGAS, Nev. - The Pacific swim and dive team set the bar in day one of the UNLV Invite. Both teams swam with rhythm and poise as five individuals placed in the top five or better and both relay squads of the men's and women's team dominated in all four events on Thursday.
The men's team sits in third place trailing UCSB (288) and Cal Poly (209) with an overall score of 196. The women's team stand in fourth overall with a combined score of 145. They trail UNLV (201), UCSB (200.5), and Fresno State (174).
"We're swimming awesome right now," Head Coach Pete Richardson quoted. "Our team lit it up today. We had unreal splits from [Allie] Emery, [Taylor] Hosmer, and [Brandon] Reno...and we really killed the relays."
In Case You Missed It:
- Pacific's Team A team of Cai Hong Singh, Meredith Lillie, Allie Emery, and Taylor Hosmer led the Tigers off in the first official event of the day, the women's 200 free relay. The women's foursome finished in third place posting a time of 1:33.34.
- The men's team A group also came ready to swim in their 200 free relay event as Dylan Toy, Yahav Shahaf, Mason Miller, and Josh Owens all contributed to a 1:20.05 time and second place finish behind UCSB.
- Both relay squads continued to shine towards the end of day one as the women's 400 medley team took another third place finish (3:44.44) while the men's team placed second (3:15.24) in the same event.
- Dylan Toy, Mason Miller, and Yahav Shahaf all placed in the top ten in the men's 50 free. Toy led the Team A group for the Orange and Black finishing seventh with a time of 20.24 while Miller followed in eighth place posting 20.50. Shahaf finish atop Team B in ninth overall and a 20.67 time. All three of the trio's times were a season-best.
- Distance swimmer Brigid McNally flourished in the women's 500 free shedding two second off her preliminary mark (4:55.20) with a time of 4:53.86 which earned her second place. Taylor Hosmer followed McNally along finishing in fifth place with a time of 5:00.31.
- The Tigers showed off their hard work in the relay events on Thursday posting season-best marks in the men's and women's 400 medley relay. The men's team shaved nearly nine second off their original time set at the PAC Invite (3:23.90) with 3:15.22. The women's team also found their stride in the 400 medley improving on the 3:54.41 time set at the PAC Invite to 3:44.44.
- Niles Biolley made an impact in the men's 500 free event posting the fastest time on the team with 4:30.19. The junior's time was six seconds better than his original time set this year (4:37.66).
- Angela Gagliardo finished fourth with a time of 2:03.84 in the women's 200 IM. Her previous mark was 2:10.85 set two weeks ago at Fresno State.
Up Next For the Tigers:
- The Orange and Black proceeds tomorrow morning at 9:30 AM as they compete in day two of the UNLV Invite.
- Day two will kick off in the morning with the preliminaries for the 400 IM, 100 fly, 200 free, 100 breast, and 100 back.
- UOP head back to Buchanan Natorium tomorrow afternoon and compete in the five scheduled meets starting with the men's and women's 400 IM.
- Live results can be found here.