COLUMBUS, Ohio - The men's and women's swim team had a day to remember in day one of the Ohio State Winter Invitational.
Pacific earned seven NCAA "B" cuts and broke two program records in the men's 100 backstroke and men's 200 medley events on the night. After a strong day of swimming, the Tigers will pick back up Sunday morning at McCorkle Aquatic Pavillion to wrap up the OSU Classic.
In Case You Missed It:
- Angel Alcala swam a 47.24 time in the men's 100 yard backstroke event. This would be a career-best for the senior swimmer by over a second, his previous time was 48.31, as well as a program-record for the Tigers.
- In the night events, the men's "A" relay team of Angel Alcala, Yahav Shahaf, Mason Miller, and Dylan Toy took first in the 200 medley relay (1:25.75).
- The four-some would set the second record of the night for Pacific, beating their previous program-mark of 1:26.21 set by Alcala, Shahaf, Miller, and fellow UOP alumni Miles Mackenzie.
- Semaj Walker earned second place in the women's 100 yard breaststroke. The junior from Gilroy, Calif. qualified for the "A" final posting a preliminary time of 1:01.61 in the morning and finishing with the second-fastest time in the evening event with 1:02.72.
- Walker also set a program-record in the 100 breast last season at the OSU Invite clocking in a time of 1:01.11. That following week, she would go on to break her own record (1:01.09) at the 2018 MPSF Championships.
- Yahav Shahaf would time trial the men's 100 breaststroke to end the night for UOP. The senior finished with a 52.78 time, currently placing him with the 16th fastest time in the nation after the event.
- Shahaf earns an NCAA "B" cut with after tonight's meet and betters his chances for a bid to this year's NCAA Championship meet held in Austin, Texas.
Up Next For the Tigers:
- The Tigers wrap up the OSU Winter Classic with another day of events at McCorkle Aquatic Pavillion.
- Pacific will compete in the women's 200 free, men's 200 backstroke, women's 200 breaststroke, women's 50 freestyle, men's 50 freestyle, and men's 200 medley relay (time trial) on Sunday.
- The prelim session is scheduled for an 11:00 AM start tomorrow. OSU's final session will be held at 4:00 PM.