COLUMBUS, Ohio - The men's and women's swim team carried out their strong swimming in the final day of competition at the Ohio State Winter Classic.
After seven NCAA "B" cuts and two program records set on Saturday, the Orange and Black ended their time at McCorkle Aquatic Pavillion on a high note earning three more "B" cuts and breaking two more program marks.
Pacific wraps up their time at the OSU Classic and shifts gears to the postseason as they approach this year's 2019 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) Championship.
In Case You Missed It:
- After setting the fastest 200 medley time in UOP history Saturday night (1:25.75), the Tiger four-some of Angel Alcala, Yahav Shahf, Mason Miller, and Dylan Toy added to their record-breaking weekend for the second day in a row posting a new relay-best time of 1:25.67.
- Angel Alcala picked up where he left off yesterday for the Tigers in the 200 backstroke event. The Los Angeles, Calif. native posted a 1:43.05 time in the men's 200 yard backstroke event, shedding close to four seconds off his previous best time this year at the UNLV Invitational (1:47.00)
- Alcala would also break another record in the 100 yard backstroke event with a time of 47.24 on Saturday.
- Angela Gagliardo earned an NCAA "B" cut in the women's 200 breaststroke with a time of 2:13.95. Gagliardo would post the second fastest time in the 200 breast earlier in the morning with 2:16.63.
- The junior swimmer was just .2 second shy of her program-record (2:13.79) set earlier this year at the UNLV Invite.
- Taylor Hosmer swam a 1:50.01 200 freestyle to lead all swimmers in the event on Sunday. The Stockton, Calif. product would also post the fastest time during the morning prelims with 1:49.48.
- Mason Miller would time trial the men's 100 yard butterfly event to cap off the weekend for the Orange and Black. The senior earned himself an NCAA "B" cut birth clocking in a time of 46.74. This would be a season-best for Miller.
- Miller also recorded a season-best mark in the men's 50 freestyle event (19.90) beating his previous time of 20.38.
Up Next For the Tigers:
- The Tigers gear up and prepare for their biggest meet of the year, the MPSF Championships (Feb. 20th - 23rd).
- This year's championships will be held at two sites: La Mirada Aquatics Center in La Mirada and Marguerite Aquatic Center in Mission Viejo, Calif.
- All MPSF teams will be in attendence including: BYU, Cal Poly, UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara, Hawaii, San Diego, and Pacific.
- Results will be posted on the MPSF website and events over the weekend will be live streamed.