Tigers Win In Overtime Against Portland

Tigers Win In Overtime Against Portland

Stockton, Calif. - The Pacific men's basketball team earned a 79-77 victory over Portland in overtime on Saturday, Feb. 21 at the Alex G. Spanos Center. The Tigers improved to 11-17, 3-13 in West Coast Conference action, while Portland dropped to 16-12 and 7-9 in WCC play.

"It was great to fight it out and earn a win tonight," said Head Coach Ron Verlin. "David really stepped up and hit some big shots. To get the win in our final home game is big. Hopefully we can carry it into our final regular season games next week."

The Tigers took a 4-2 lead with a pair of baskets from Ray Bowles and Gabriel Aguirre. Bryce Pressley hit a pair of three-pointers in a 9-2 run to give the Pilots an 11-6 lead with 15:43 left in the half. The Tigers then scored six straight, including a pair a field goals from Jacob Lampkin to give Pacific a 14-11 lead at the 11:07 mark. Jason Todd hit a jumper for Portland to start a 10-3 run that gave the Pilots a 21-17 lead with 7:20 to play in the half. The Tigers took the lead back at 24-23 with a 7-2 stretch that was capped by a short jumper by the returning Sami Eleraky. Eleraky had missed more than a month with a knee injury for the Tigers. The Pilots finished the half by outscoring the Tigers 9-2 to take a 32-26 halftime lead.

After Portland took the lead to eight (36-28), the Tigers whittled away at it with a 7-0 run that featured four points from Ray Bowles over three minutes to cut it to 36-35 with 15:32 left in the game. The teams traded scores on the next four possessions before Alec Kobre hit a three-pointer to give the Tigers their first lead since early in the game at 42-40 with 11:24 remaining. The Pilots then went on a 12-4 run to take a 52-46 lead with 7:06 to go, but was cut down on layups from T.J. Wallace and Dulani Robinson. Alec Wintering then scored seven straight points to give the Pilots their largest lead of the game (59-50) with 5:00 left on the clock. More free throws from Wintering helped give Portland a 64-56 lead with just 2:16 left. The Tigers cut the lead to two after free throws from Eric Thompson and Ray Bowles along with a three-pointer from David Taylor. Kevin Bailey hit one of two at the line with :22 left to make it a three point game. Taylor hit another trey with :10 left to even it up at 65-65. Wintering missed a three-pointer to send the game to overtime.

Robinson opened the overtime period with a three-pointer, but was matched by Bailey on the Portland end. The Tigers then scored on short runners by Kobre and Taylor, followed by a pair of free throws by Lampkin to take a 74-68 with 1:50 to go. Bailey sandwiched three-pointers around an acrobatic layup by Taylor to make it a 76-74 Tiger lead with :16 left. Robinson was fouled and hit both free throws, but Bailey hit another trey to cut it to 78-77 with just :04 remaining. Robinson was fouled again with :02, making the first but missing the second. Portland grabbed the rebound, but a half court heave was well off the mark.

Taylor led the Tigers with 18 points, scoring 12 points after halftime. Robinson scored 13 points, with six coming in overtime. Thompson added 11 points and a game-high nine boards and Bowles had 10 points. Aguirre had six points and three rebounds in his final home game. Pacific was 17-31 (54.8%) after halftime and 28-57 (49.1%) for the game. The Tigers dominated inside, out-scoring the Pilots 38-12 on points in the paint.

The Tigers are next in action with a road game at Santa Clara on Thursday, Feb. 26. The game is set for a 7:00 p.m. start and will be televised by theW.tv.