Pacific Falls At #23 Saint Mary's

Pacific Falls At #23 Saint Mary's


Pacific Courtside Postgame Report, driven by Chase Chevrolet - Saint Mary's

MORAGA, Calif. - No. 23 Saint Mary's used a 17-4 second-half run to open up a five-point game and defeat Pacific 62-50 on Thursday evening in West Coast Conference (WCC) action inside McKeon Pavilion.

The Tigers suffer their first loss in eight games this season when holding an opponent under 69 points.

Calvin Hermanson led all Saint Mary's (16-2, 6-1 WCC) players with 17 points. Jock Landale tallied a double-double with 10 points and as many rebounds. Joe Rahon dished out nine assists, while Emmett Naar had five.

The Gaels shot 46 percent (23-of-50) from the floor and 41.9 percent (13-of-31) from beyond the arc. Saint Mary's totaled 19 assists on 23 made field goals.

T.J. Wallace led four Pacific (8-12, 2-5 WCC) players in double figures with 13 points on 6-of-12 shooting. He moved past Sam Willard and Rich Anema into 18th on the school's all-time scoring list. Now with 1,146 career points, Wallace trails John Errecart by 22 for 17th, John Thomas by 33 for 16th and Christian Gray by 58 for 15th.

Jacob Lampkin added 11 points. Anthony Townes and Ray Bowles followed up with 10 points each. Townes, who shot 5-of-9, also grabbed eight boards, and Bowles dished out four assists.

The Tigers shot 47.8 percent (22-of-46) from the field, including 55 percent (11-of-20) in the second half. Pacific has shot 45 percent or better from the field in six of the last 10 games.

Wallace's trey 50 seconds into Thursday's affair extended Pacific's streak of consecutive games with at least one made bucket from deep to 905.

Pacific outscored Saint Mary's 30-18 in the paint.

After trailing by 19 in the first half, the Orange and Black trimmed the deficit to five at 35-30 less than four minutes into the second after a Townes layup, as the Gaels started just 2-of-8 shooting in the frame.

Both teams struggled to find the bottom of the net in the first eight minutes of the second half, with the Tigers going 3-of-10 and the Gaels 3-of-12.

However, Saint Mary's began to catch fire and hit four triples, including two by Hermanson, as part of a 17-4 run to push its edge back to 52-34 with 7:48 to play.

"We just have to put the ball in the hole," Pacific coach Damon Stoudamire said. "What I've learned from everybody I've played with and even the coaches I've been with: there has to come to a time when a guy just has to get a bucket. We had good shots, (but) we just didn't make them.

"I'm still proud of our team because we played until the end. Everybody fought that stepped out on the floor."

The Tigers trimmed the deficit to 11 twice in the final 3:19 but were unable to get any closer.

The Gaels started Thursday 8-of-14 from the field, including 5-of-10 from beyond the arc, and had seven assists on the eight made field goals.

After starting just 4-of-14 from the floor and trailing by 19, 30-11, at the 6:40 mark, the Tigers connected on six of their next eight field goals, scoring 12-straight points as part of a 14-3 run to close the period. Wallace and Bowles either scored or assisted on every possession except one, and Saint Mary's was held scoreless for 6:09 during the run.

"We made sure we kept on fighting, getting stops on defense, getting out in transition or setting up and trying to execute," Bowles said. "I think everybody did a good job of playing hard tonight and leaving it out on the floor. A couple of things (just) didn't go our way."

The Gaels shot 48 percent (12-of-25) in the first 20 minutes and totaled 10 assists, with five coming from Naar, on 12 made baskets. Saint Mary's was 41.2 percent (7-of-17) from deep but made only two of its last seven attempts.

The Tigers converted 42.3 percent (11-of-26) from the floor in the first half, as Wallace led all scorers with nine. The visitors found success inside, scoring 14 points in the paint.

Pacific returns to the Alex G. Spanos Center on Saturday to host BYU. Tip-off is set for 3 p.m. PT.