Tigers Prevail with 4-3 Overtime Victory over Broncos

Andres Ochoa. Photo by Hannah Baber
Andres Ochoa. Photo by Hannah Baber

SANTA CLARA, Calif. - A goal just over a minute into overtime off the foot of Camden Riley helped the Pacific men's soccer team complete the comeback victory in a 4-3 win over Santa Clara on Wednesday night. Wouter Verstraaten scored his third goal of the year and Andres Ochoa notched two assists. Tariq Branche added a pair of goals both off assists from Alfredo Alcala, and goalie Curtis Goldsmith notched his ninth win between the posts with three saves in Pacific's first overtime contest this season. 

The victory propels Pacific to 9-3 overall, 1-1 in West Coast Conference play while the setback drops Santa Clara to 3-9 this year, 2-1 in WCC action.

The Tigers came out with energy in the first half, and in the sixth minute Alfredo Alcala sent in a corner opportunity that found Camden Riley in the middle of the box, but his header went just high of the crossbar. Pacific continued to pressure the Bronco backline looking for the lead, however a pair of offsides calls early on in the first half nulled the offensive threat.

In the 26th the hosts found the back of the net as a deflection got to Nate Shue at the top of the box who ripped one past the diving Curtis Goldsmith towards the right corner for the 1-0 advantage. The Tigers finally broke through to knot the score at 1-1 in the 37th on Andres Ochoa's set piece from the left side that found Wouter Verstraaten in front of the goal who knocked it in at the near post. 

A foul in the box gave the hosts a penalty kick in the 49th minute, and Valdemar Andersen converted to take a 2-1 lead. Exactly two minutes later the Broncos extended their lead 3-1 on a goal off the foot by Javier Ruiz Duran. Pacific quickly got the goal back in the 51st with Alcala saving the ball from going out near the end line while sending it to Branche at the near post, who back heeled it in to make it 3-2. 

In the 63rd the Orange and Black found the equalizer on another Alcala to Branche connection. Alcala lobbed the ball from midfield to a streaking Branche down the middle who chipped it past the drawn out 'keeper to make it 3-3. The Tigers continued to dominate possession in the final 25 minutes looking for their first lead of the night, but the Bronco defense pushed back to force overtime. 

Pacific quickly walked off victorious just a minute and twenty seconds into sudden death overtime as Ochoa booted in a corner that found Riley, who then went near post for the golden goal.

Tonight was the second multi-goal contest for Brache and the second multiple-assist performance by Alcala this season. Ochoa also logged two helpers, giving him his first career multi-assist match. 

The Tigers return home next Friday, Oct. 27th to host San Diego at 7 PM and the first 250 fans in attendance will receive a free vuvuzela. Pacific will then welcome Loyola Marymount to Knoles Field on Oct. 29th at 3 PM and the first 250 fans will take home a free pair of Pacific Tigers sunglasses.