LAGUNA NIGUEL, Calif. – Johnathan Lieu of the University of the Pacific men's tennis team advances to day three of the International Tennis Federation Futures Event on Sunday, September 16. The event started on Friday with three student-athletes from the men's tennis program competing.
In Case You Missed It:
Friday, September 14
- Freshman Philip Hjorth (DEN), who ranks 34th nationally in Denmark, defeated his opponent Abhishek Bastola (NEP) in two straight sets 6-2 and 6-0.
- Junior Johnathan Lieu (USA) battled to beat his opponent Louis Siegler (USA) in two tiebreaker sets by scores of 7-6 (3) and 7-6 (1).
- Junior Ross Watson (GBR) ranked 159th nationally in England and dropped in two sets to his opponent Matthew Tsolakyan (USA) by scores of 6-4 and 7-5.
Saturday, September 15
- Hjorth played in the second qualifying round on Saturday but fell to his Ukraine opponent, Oleksiy Arovin, by a score of 7-5 and 6-2.
- Lieu continued his win streak by defeating his German opponent Simon Junk by a score of 7-6 (1) and 6-4 to advance to day three of the event on Sunday.
Coach Redondo's Comments:
"It was a very good day of learning where each guy is at and where they need to go. I was very happy and inspired by John's performance today. He went out from morning practice to match and applied all the things we spoke about. John beat a very solid player from Ole Miss that is going to do well this year and he will have a tough opponent tomorrow as well, which is exactly why we are here - to play the best players. Phil and Ross both lost matches that they had on their racket's, in my opinion. Both guys were encouraging to watch and the process is going to be a blast working through as we keep progressing this fall."
Lieu will continue to the third qualifying round on Sunday, starting at 10:30 a.m. Lieu will take on Korey Lovett (USA) on Court 16 at the Laguna Niguel Racquet Club.