SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – The University of the Pacific men's tennis team competed in two rounds on opening day of the Battle in the Bay Classic.
In Case You Missed It:
- In doubles, Akram El Sallaly and freshman Philip Hjorth partnered up and defeated West Coast Conference opponent USF's Paul Giraurd and Phuc Huynh by a score of 8-7(2).
- In singles, Hjorth defeated Ben Draper of Cal in two straight by scores of 7-5 and 6-4.
- Ross Watson notched his first singles win after defeating Blaz Seric of Hawaii by scores of 7-6 in both sets.
- Tadiwa Chinamo dropped his match to Cagayan Soke of Fresno State in three sets taking the first set 6-3 before falling in the next two by scores of 7-5 and 11-9.
- In the second round, Hjorth fell in two straight sets to Harrison Scott of the University of Texas by scores of 6-4 and 6-2.
- Petros Chrysochos, the defending NCAA Champion, of Wake Forest defeated Watson by a score of 6-2 in both sets.
Coach Redondo's Comments:
"I'm very impressed with the guys today. They were great. Really appreciate their fight and work today to improve and get better. I can't really single one highlight out as there were a lot of great matches and I am excited for tomorrow's battles."
El Sallaly and Hjorth will continue doubles play tomorrow at 8:30 a.m. against Botzer and Chrysochos of Wake Forest.