STOCKTON, Calif. - Pacific held the Santa Clara Broncos to 11 second-half points in the Tigers' 55-37 win over Santa Clara Thursday evening at the Alex G. Spanos Center. Jenelle Grant led all scorers with 14 points and grabbed eight boards for the near double-double, while GeAnna Luaulu-Summers dropped nine points and gathered six rebounds and nine assists.
The win brings the Tigers to .500 overall at 11-11 and 5-6 in the West Coast Conference while Santa Clara falls to 7-15 overall and 3-8 in the WCC.
In Case You Missed It
- Jessica Blakeslee started the Tigers off with a three from the outside as she got the nod for her second consecutive start.
- In the first quarter, the Tiger defense forced four quick Bronco turnovers, which led to a scoring drought for the Broncos for three minutes and six points for Pacific.
- To start the second, the Tigers wasted no time as Ameela Li and Luaulu-Summers hit back-to-back threes to get ahead 21-15.
- Issy Parker entered the game in the middle of the second and immediately picked up two points from 15-feet out.
- The second quarter belonged to the Tigers as they forced four more Bronco turnovers as they finished the first half with 11.
- At the break, Pacific held the advantage in assists (8-4), steals (8-4), points off turnovers (9-3), and bench points (10-9).
- Through two quarters, the Tigers shot 44 percent from the field (12-of-27) and 44 percent from three-point range (4-of-9).
- In the third, the Santa Clara offense was halted as they collected only six points, the best defensive period for the Tigers of the 2017-18 campaign.
- The Tiger defense continued to work the Bronco offense not allowing Santa Clara to score for over five minutes in the fourth quarter.
- Pacific's offense closed out the fourth quarter on an 11-1 run and held the Broncos to one of their last eight.
- Pacific finished with 14 assists as they continue to lead the WCC along with 21 bench points thanks to Grant's 14.
- The Tigers got to the line only eight times, sinking five from the charity stripe.
- With six lead changes throughout the game, the Tigers led for just over 32 minutes after taking over in the second quarter.
What You Need To Know
- D-FENSE: The Tigers had two of their best defensive quarters this season holding the Broncos to six points in the third quarter and five in the fourth for 11 total second-half points.
- TURN IT OVER: Pacific forced 22 Santa Clara turnovers compared to only 11 by the Tigers. The Orange and Black capitalized on the Bronco errors turning them into 17 points.
- BEG, BORROW, AND STEAL: Pacific had no problems taking the ball away from Santa Clara Thursday evening collecting 16 steals, a new season high. Eight Tigers recorded steals with Luaulu-Summers and Desire Finnie pacing the squad with three each.
The Tigers take to the court again on Saturday, Feb 3 as they face Pepperdine for the annual Pacific Plays Pink game where the team will recognize cancer survivors and will have special warm-up jerseys with the names of the cancer survivors on the back. The contest will feature a live stream courtesy of TheW.tv and live stats via PacificTigers.com.
Follow the Tigers
For more information about the Pacific women's basketball team, be sure to follow @Pacific_Hoops on Twitter and @pacificwbb on Instagram.
Pacific women's basketball fans can follow all of the action as if they were in the front row of every game, providing access to score updates, statistics, game recaps and more with the new Pacific Tigers Front Row app available for free in the App Store and Google Play.