PALO ALTO, Calif. – In a scoring battle on Saturday afternoon, the Pacific women's field hockey team was eliminated from the America East Conference Tournament after falling to the East Division No. 1 seeded Albany, 4-3.
The Tigers concluded their 2018 campaign with a 12-8 overall record, while Albany advances the conference tournament finale with an improved record of 15-4.
In Case You Missed it:
- Albany scored first at 3:08, but Kriekie van Wyk answered with an unassisted goal at 20:17.
- The Great Danes' leading scorer Ghislaine Beerkens had an unassisted goal to the right side at 24:48 to take the lead once again.
- Nearing the end of the first half, van Wyk connected for her 20th goal of the season off on a penalty corner. Assisting on the goal were both Ash Rutherford and Hayley Kilfoil.
- Albany had two more chances to score in the first half, but Tigers' Marlise van Tonder made two stellar saves on penalty saves to keep the score even at 2-2.
- The Tigers struck first in the second half off of the stick of Gabriella Fondario, just under four minutes into the second half.
- In the next 2:03, Albany scored its equalizer and winning goals.
- At 63:43 Pacific pulled its goalie with the hopes of having a more offensive approach, but the Great Danes fought off the Tigers and claimed the semifinal victory.
What Coach Smith Says:
"I thought we played very well, but defensive team errors have ultimately cost us the game. We cannot make the elementary mistakes that we made and expect to win games at this level."
"The eight seniors who have played their last games for us today had an incredible careers and we are sorry that it ended up on the losing end today.
"Rylee, Taylor, Jessie, Meghan, Tayler, Ju, Karlijn, and Kriekie — we thank you from the bottom of our hearts for all you have done and all the memories you have created. We look forward to watching you take the next step, whatever that may be."
Maine took down tournament host-Stanford on Saturday morning to also advance to the America East Championship final. The Black Bears and Great Danes will meet at 12:00 pm on Sunday. The Winner will earn the conference's bid to the NCAA Tournament.