STOCKTON, Calif. - The Pacific softball team embark on their second road trip of the season this weekend as they head to Stanford's annual Demarini Invite (Feb. 14th-16th) in Palo Alto, Calif.
The Tigers (2-3) will compete in a five-game slate starting on Thursday as they take on Stanford (4-1), Portland State (2-4), Colorado State (3-1), and Iowa State (1-4). All games this weekend will be streamed on the Pac-12 Network and as well as live stats.
DEMARINI INVITATIONAL INFO:
-Location: Boyd & Jill Smith Family Stadium | Palo Alto, CA
-Links: Tournament Central
LAST TIME OUT:
- The Tigers picked up a pair of wins in their season-opener at Cal State Fullerton's Titan Classic last weeked.
- Pacific would knock off Buffalo, 11-0, in their first game of the year on Friday and take a well-earned 5-3 victory over Idaho State on Saturday.
- The Orange and Black would also drop matches to Northwestern, Utah State, and hosts Fullerton during the tournament.
KOLZE TAKES HIS 750TH:
- Head Coach Brian Kolze secured his 750th career win for UOP in the Tigers' 11-0 victory against Buffalo last Friday.
- The Linden, Calif. native becomes just the 50th coach in NCAA Division I Softball history to achieve this honor.
- Kolze ranks first in program history in career wins (751) for the Orange and Black and currently ranks second all-time in career win percentage (.528).
- Hailey Reed, Madison Hopper, and Bradi Kooyman are all hitting above the .250 mark with Kooyman leading the pack with a batting average of .333. She also leads the team in hits (5).
- Junior Caity Sung took advantage of runners in scoring position for her team driving in four runs and scoring one run of her own over the weekend. The outfielder also went 1-1 in stolen base opportunities.
- Senior pitcher Kenya Lindstrom earned her first victory of the year and second shutout of her career helping the Tigers breeze past Buffalo, 11-0, in their season-opener.
- Hailey Reed cemented her name in the history books last weekend registering a complete game and career-high 13 strikeouts in UOP's game against Utah State. Reed's baker's dozen helps her become just the sixth player in Pacific history to record 13 K's or more in a game. The last pitcher to do it was Chelsea Engle in 2008.
- Placerville, Calif. native Bethany Hammer dealt a complete game in UOP's victory over Idaho State. The second-year player went 7.0 full striking out three batters and giving up just one earned run.
FRESHMEN IN CHARGE:
- Pacific's freshmen squad stepped up big time in their collegiate debut at last weekend's Titan Classic. Jessica Mabrey and Madison Kahwaty highlighted the freshmen core on offense each tallying a home run for the Tigers. Mabrey, Kahwaty, and Linden, Calif. product Carly Lucchetti would all finish the weekend with three hits a piece.
- Mabrey knocked in a homer, a double, and four RBI's during UOP's five-game slate to lead all first-year players. The Phoenix, Ariz. native is tied with teammate Caity Sung for a team-best four runs batted in.
- Myka Sutherlin made two appearances in the circle for the Tigers striking out a total of four batters in 5.0 innings of work.
KENYA GRABS WCC PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
- The West Coast Conference announced Kenya Lindstrom as this week's WCC Player of the Week following an 11-0 shutout victory against Buffalo.
- The Denver, Colo. product delivered 6.0 scoreless innings striking out a pair of batters to help Pacific gain it's first win of the season.
- This is the eighth complete game and just the second shutout in Lindstrom's career. Her first came following a 6-0 shutout on the road against fellow hosts Stanford last April.
TICKETS/DEMARINI CLASSIC INFO:
- Tickets to the Demarini Invite games this weekend can be purchased online, or on gameday at the box office.
- The entirety of the tournament will be streamed online by the Pac-12 Network.
- Live stats and social media coverage will also be available for each game of the Demarini Classic.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENTS:
- vs. Stanford
- Senior pitcher Carolyn Lee leads the Cardinal in the circle with a 1.09 ERA in 19.1 innings.
- Kristina Inouye carried Stanford last weekend driving in a Pac-12 best 11 runs while keeping a batting average of .467.
- vs. Portland State
- Big Sky Player of the Week honoree Darian Lindsey closed out the Vikings season-opener last weekend with seven runs, a batting average of .471, and three multi-hit games.
- Kaela Morrow follows Lindsey at the plate with a .409 batting average, nine hits, and 12 total bases.
- vs. Colorado State
- The Rams are currently 3-1 on the year with three-straight wins against Abilene Christian and UTSA.
- This will be the 25th season since softball was reinstated as a program for Colorado State.
- vs. Iowa State
- Sally Woopert leads the pack for the Cyclones hitting a team-high .333 at the plate on the year.
- Sammi Williams and Kaylee Bosworth each drove in three RBI's for ISU last weekend.
For more on the Pacific Softball program, be sure to follow @PacificSoftball on Twitter and Instagram.