STOCKTON, Calif. - The Pacific softball team heads down the coast to UC Santa Barbara this weekend for the annual Gaucho Classic. Pacific (4-9) will play four games over the weekend competing against Bowling Green (4-4), LIU Brooklyn (8-6), and tournament hosts UCSB (4-9).
GAUCHO CLASSIC TOURNAMENT INFO:
-Pacific vs. Bowling Green | Saturday, March 2nd | 9:00 AM | Live Stats
-Pacific vs. LIU Brooklyn | Saturday, March 2nd |3:30 PM | Live Stats
-Pacific vs. LIU Brooklyn | Sunday, March 3rd | 9:00 AM | Live Stats
-Pacific vs. UC Santa Barbara | Sunday, March 3rd | 11:00 AM | Live Stats
-Location: Campus Diamond Field | Santa Barbara, CA
-Links: Tournament Central
Last Time Out:
- The Tigers are coming off their first home series last weekend hosting five games at the Libby Matson Tournament.
- Pacific would drop their games against rv Oregon State and Nevada but pick up two wins, a 1-0 shutout and 4-2 victory, both against California Baptist.
- Hailey Reed got the complete game shutout for the Orange and Black in their first win of the weekend tossing a full 7.0 innings. Freshman Jessica Mabrey lit up the Lancers in UOP's second win on Sunday driving in her second home run of the year off a grand slam for the 4-2 decision.
TIGERS IN THE CIRCLE:
- Junior pitcher Hailey Reed continues to lead the Tigers pitching rotation this year. The right-handed ace currently in the top 100 (89th) in the nation in strikeouts with with 35 K's. Reed struck out 10 batters, seven of which came in her shutout victory against the Lancers last Friday.
- The Topeka, Kansas native pitched a career-high 13 strikeouts in Pacific's game against against Utah State earlier this month. She would become just the sixth Tiger in UOP history to record 13 K's in a game.
- Kenya Lindstrom and Bethany Hammer have each pitched 19.1 innings of work for the Tigers this year. the duo combine for five starts and 10 appearances for UOP.
- Bradi Kooyman carries a .306 batting average at the plate to lead the Tigers this season.
- The junior first baseman has 11 hits in 36 at bats to go along with a team-best four doubles on the season. The Lodi, Calif. native tallied four hits over the weekend, two of which came off rv Oregon State in their game on Sunday.
- Kooyman holds a .375 on base percentage, the higest of any Tiger player, this year.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENTS:
- vs. Bowling Green (4-4)
- The Falcons went 4-1 last weekend at the Gardner-Webb Softball Tournament in Boiling Springs, N.C.
- MAC Player of the Week, Sarah Gonzalez, highlights the BGSU squad as she led the team with a .412 batting clip and added five doubles as well as a grand slam for the Falcons over the weekend. The third-baseman is currently tied for eighth in the nation in doubles per game.
- vs. LIU Brooklyn (8-6)
- The Blackbirds are currently on a five-game winning streak taking four straight this past weekend against Harvard, Deleware, and Jacksonville at the Jacksonville Classic. LIU outscored their opponents 23-1 during the tournament.
- Elena Valenzuela will likely be the No. 1 ace for the Blackbirds earning Northeast Conference Pitcher and Rookie of the Week following two shutouts versus Harvard and Deleware.
- vs. UC Santa Barbara (4-9)
- The Gauchos dropped four games to Arizona, BYU, Oregon, and Oklahoma at the Mary Nutter Classic this past weekend.
- Outfielders Sammy Fabian and Rayna Cohen lead UCSB at the plate. The duo holds a .391 and .333 batting percentage respectively, combining for 31 hits on the year.
- In the circle, junior Felisha Noriega carries a team-best three wins into the tournament taking wins against Montana, Grand Canyon, and Army Westpoint.
For more on the Pacific Softball program, be sure to follow @PacificSoftball on Twitter and Instagram.