STOCKTON, Calif. - The Pacific softball team picked up their first pair of wins on the season on Wednesday afternoon at Bill Simoni Field.
Pacific vs. Bucknell (Game 1) - In Case You Missed It:
- A 7.0 inning pitching effort from junior Hailey Reed willed Pacific to victory in their first game of the day against the Bison. The Topeka, Kansas native shut down Bucknell at the plate striking out three batters and allowing no runs in her eighth start of the season.
- Reed would be backed by a two-run bottom of the fourth inning. Madison Kahwaty doubled to right center and allowed Madison Hopper to score all the way from first base off a Bison error for their first run. Caity Sung would drive in the second run of the day off a sac fly scoring Kahwaty.
- A single through the right side in the fifth inning by first baseman Bradi Kooyman gave the Tigers the extra insurance run they need to pull away from Bucknell with a comfortable 3-0 lead.
- A beautiful double play by third baseman Ralene Estrada ended a Bison drive in the top of the sixth and kept Reed's shutout intact. The Orange and Black would remain in front the rest of the way for the victory.
Pacific vs. Bucknell (Game 2) - In Case You Missed It:
- Despite committing five errors in the ball game, the Tigers remained poised in the second half of their double header versus the Bison pulling off a 3-2 decision to wrap up Wednesday afternoon.
- Freshman Myka Sutherlin snagged her first collegiate win as well as her first complete game in a Tiger uniform striking out a career-high eight batters at the plate while giving up just one earned run.
- The Tigers would go up early, 1-0, in the first off an RBI-single from Kooyman but rally back from a 2-1 deficit and add two runs in the sixth to retake the lead, 3-2.
- Kooyman would score from third off a wild pitch and Caity Sung would deliver a clutch single up the middle scoring Sutherlin to put the Tigers ahead.
- After an error by Sutherlin in the top of the seventh moved runners to second and third with two outs, the freshman pitcher forced a Bison batter to fly out to left field to end the game and garner her first victory.
- Sutherlin broke her previous career-high in strikeouts, seven K's, just four days after setting it. The Gilbert, Ariz. native racked up seven strikeouts in her previous start last weekend against Sac State at the Louisville Slugger Tournament.
- Caity Sung has drove in an RBI in each of the Tigers' last four games. The junior outfielder currently sits in second on the team with nine RBI's on the year.
- Bradi Kooyman pushes her hit streak to four games following Wednesday's performance. The Lodi, Calif. native has racked up five hits and three RBI's for the Tigers in her last four appearances.
Up Next For the Tigers:
- The Tigers host another double-header at Bill Simoni tomorrow against the University of North Dakota.
- UOP will host North Dakota (13-13) on Thursday, March 14th, at 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM.
- The Fighting Hawks are currently on a four-game winning streak taking wins against UCSB, Montana, and Cal State Bakersfield.
For more on the Pacific Softball program, be sure to follow @PacificSoftball on Twitter and Instagram.