SAN JOSE, Calif. - The Pacific softball team split their pair of games at the Spartan Classic on Saturday afternoon.
The Tigers (11-13) would pull away, 3-1, in their first game of the day against UMass Lowell (8-12) but would be topped, 5-4, by hosts San Jose (15-9) to conclude their time at Spartan Field.
Bradi Kooyman would lead the Orange and Black in their game against the River Hawks with her first home run of the season. Jessica Mabrey carried UOP in the second half of the day against the Spartans with two hits and two RBI's.
Pacific vs. UMass Lowell - In Case You Missed It:
- Carly Lucchetti put the Tigers on the board first against UMass following an RBI-single down to right field in the top of the third.
- The Tigers would tack on another run in the following inning as a Madison Kahwaty-double scored Bradi Kooyman from third to extend Pacific's lead to 2-0.
- UMass would answer with one run off two hits in the top of the fifth but Kooyman gave UOP the extra insurance run they needed in the sixth striking a homer to straight away center to push the Tigers lead to 3-2.
- Myka Sutherlin got her fourth start in the circle for the Orange and Black and did not disappoint pitching a full 7.0 innings of work and improving on her career-high with eight strikeouts in the ball game.
Pacific vs. San Jose State - In Case You Missed It:
- Despite a 3-0 deficit by San Jose State in the fifth inning, the Tigers would battle back against the Spartans to pull within contention. Jessica Mabrey started the charge for UOP by knocking a two-run double to left center which scored Hailey Reed and Carly Lucchetti.
- Caity Sung would score the equalizer for the Orange and Black off an RBI-single through the left side, knotting up the score at 3-3 a piece. Following a pitching change by the Spartans, Caitlin Reynolds came in to pinch hit for the Tigers and reached on a fielder's choice scoring Madison Hopper and giving Pacific it's first lead of the game, 4-3. The Tigers would drive four runs off four hits in the top of the sixth inning.
- UOP would be unable to hold onto the lead, however, as SJSU responded in the bottom portion of the inning scoring two runs off two hits.
- Hailey Reed would tally a single in the final inning to put the tying run on board, but the Spartans would end the game on a 6-4-3 double play to keep their win streak intact.
Up Next For the Tigers:
- The Tigers head back to Bill Simoni Field this Tuesday, March 19th, as they host Iona.
- The Gaels are 1-10 on the year earning their first win of the year, 7-1, against UMass Lowell on Saturday.
- Game time for the two teams is scheduled for a 2:00 PM start time.
For more on the Pacific Softball program, be sure to follow @PacificSoftball on Twitter and Instagram.