BERKELEY, Calif. - The Pacific softball team (14-18) gets set for it's final nonconference game of the year on Wednesday as they trek over to Berkeley, Calif. for 4:00 PM showdown against California.
The Tigers look to pick up their first true road win of the year and hope to gain some momentum heading into the brink of WCC action.
-Weather: 62 degrees. Partly Cloudy. Winds at 9 mph at WSW.
-Location: Levine-Fricke Field | Berkeley, Calif.
Last Time Out:
- UOP would drop two games at the Bulldog Invitational in Fresno, Calif. last weekend. The Tigers fell in extras, 6-5, to Cal State Bakersfield and took a 6-2 loss to hosts Fresno State.
- Pacific had their bats working in their first game against the Roadrunners as five Tigers tallied multiple hits in the game including a game-high three singles from Hailey Reed.
REED RACKIN 'EM UP:
- Junior pitcher Hailey Reed has been the Tigers' go-to ace throughout the stretch of the season. The Topeka, Kansas native continues to lead the Orange and Black's pitching rotation this year ranking in the top 100 in the nation in total strikeouts (91) and strikeouts per seven innings (7.86).
- Reed has struck out a batter in each of her 15 appearances this season. She set a career-high in K totals twice this season against Utah State (Feb. 9th) and Fairleigh Dickinson (March 9th).
- The third-year right hander also leads the team in wins (6), ERA (2.16), and innings pitched (81.0).
- Throught the past five games, four Tigers hold batting averages of over .300: Reed, Bradi Kooyman, Caity Sung, and Madison Hopper.
- Hopper leads the team with a batting clip of .333 through this stretch. She also holds an on base percentage of .500.
- Madison Kahwaty currently carries a team-high 11 total bases as well as a slugging percentage of .786.
- The Orange and Black have relied heavily on their freshman core this year as Madison Kahwaty, Carly Lucchetti, Jessica Mabrey, and Myka Sutherlin have all started at least 29 games.
- Among the foursome, Kahwaty has excelled at the plate as of late as she's currently second on the team in hits (24) and doubles (7).
- Jessica Mabrey has also held a steady hand for Pacific racking up a team-high 18 RBI's and ranks third on the team behind Kahwaty in the hits category (23). Carly Lucchetti also leads the team in the leadoff spot in runs scored with 18.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENT:
- vs. Cal (20-15)
- The Bears are currently amidst a six-game losing streak with losses to Stanford, UC Davis, and UCLA.
- Lindsay Rood has been on a tear hitting a .447 batting average, 55 hits, 36 runs, 22 stolen bases which currently leads the team.
- Five Bears hold 20+ RBI's for their team this season.
- Right-handed ace Kamalani Dung holds an 8-6 record with a 2.08 ERA for Cal.
For more on the Pacific Softball program, be sure to follow @PacificSoftball on Twitter and Instagram.