STOCKTON, Calif. - The Pacific softball team (15-27, 1-8) head up to Davis, Calif. on Tuesday for a midweek friendley against Big West opponent UC Davis (34-8, 9-3). Following a reschedule of their original matchup on Feb. 19th, the Orange and Black will take on the Aggies prior to their three-game series against Santa Clara this coming weekend.
-Location: La Rue Field | Davis, Calif.
Last Time Out:
- The Tigers would end their weekend series against Saint Mary's on a high note stealing a 9-1 decision against the Gaels on Saturday afternoon to avoid the series sweep.
- WCC Player of the Week Carly Lucchetti had one of her best stretches of the season at Bill Simoni last weekend going 6-12 at the plate and racking up 5 RBI's to earn her first weekly honor.
- Pacific's Saturday afternoon victory would mark their first conference win of the year.
REED RACKIN 'EM UP:
Junior pitcher Hailey Reed continues to be the Tigers' go-to ace. The Topeka, Kansas native still maintains the lead in the Orange and Black's pitching rotation this year ranking in the top 100 in the nation with a total strikeouts (104) and strikeouts per seven innings (7.11). Reed reached the 100 strikeout mark over the weekend striking out five batters in her last start on Friday. Her 104 strikeouts currently ranks second in the WCC behind LMU's Samantha Manti.
Reed has struck out a batter in each of her 19 appearances in the circle. She set a career-high in K totals (13) twice this season against Utah State (Feb. 9th) and Fairleigh Dickinson (March 9th).
The right-hander also leads the Tigers in wins (6), ERA (3.08), and innings pitched (102.1). Reed's ERA also ranks in the top five in conference.
The Tigers' freshman class have provided a major lift this season. Pacific's freshman core of Madison Kahwaty, Carly Lucchetti, and Jessica Mabrey have started at least 39 games for Head Coach Brian Kolze and his crew.
- Following a breakout performance over the weekend, Carly Lucchetti leads the team with a .306 batting average and runs scored (19). Her three triples on the year also ranks atop the WCC.
Kahwaty has delivered consistently at the plate in her first season at Pacific as she sits behind Lucchetti with a .301 batting average and 57 total bases. The Livermore, Calif. infielder also leads the team in doubles (9). Kahwaty also been a reliable source at the shortstop position leading the team in assists and carrying a .966 fielding percentage in conference.
Jessica Mabrey has lived up to her expectation as UOP's utility player, racking up 155 putouts. The product from Scottsdale, Ariz. carries a team-best 22 RBI's.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENT:
vs. UC Davis (34-8, 9-3)
- The Aggies are currently riding a five-game winning streak following a series sweep on the road of Big West opponent UC Riverside.
- Megan Bradburry leads UC Davis with 38 RBI's. Four other Aggies have tallied 20+ RBI's on the year including Marisa Givens who carries a team-best .388 batting clip.
- Left-handed ace and reigning Big West Pitcher of the Year Brooke Yanez has been a force in the circle for her team. Yanez holds a .89 ERA as well as a 22-3 overall record this year. She also has 218 strikeouts this season.
- Davis holds a 19-4 record at La Rue Field. Their last win at home came in a 5-0 win against Cal Poly on Apr. 14th.
For more on the Pacific Softball program, be sure to follow @PacificSoftball on Twitter and Instagram.