STOCKTON, Calif. - The Pacific softball team split their doubleheader Saturday afternoon against Loyola Marymount.
Pacific (17-31, 2-11) dropped a 4-1 decision in their first game of the day to the Lions (34-17, 10-3) but would bounce back in the second half of their doubleheader as two doubles from Madison Hopper and a complete game effort by Myka Sutherlin carried the Tigers to a 4-3 victory.
Pacific vs. LMU (Game 1): - In Case You Missed It:
- The Lions built a steady lead early on over the Tigers to open up Saturday's contest as they scored all four of their runs in the first two innings of play.
- An RBI-single by junior Caity Sung in the bottom fourth put UOP on the board driving in teammate Madison Kahwaty following a double to left field.
- Ralene Estrada gave Pacific a chance to score in the fifth as she knocked a leadoff double to right field and would advance to third following a groundout play but LMU kept the Orange and Black scoreless in the inning. The Lions would hold UOP off to end the first game.
Pacific vs. LMU (Game 2): - In Case You Missed It:
- The Tigers played a quality game on both ends of the field in their second game of the day. Pacific would drive four runs off eight hits and no errors.
- An RBI-double by Madison Hopper kicked things off for the Orange and Black in the first inning. This gave Pacific an early 1-0 edge.
- LMU would swing back in front in the top second driving home two runs off a home run to left field. UOP would counter in the third inning as Hopper tallied her second RBI-double of the day bringing in Hailey Reed to make things even, 2-2.
- A pivotal two-run inning in the fifth proved to be the difference for Pacific. An error by LMU and sac-fly RBI by Caity Sung gave the Tigers life and put them back ahead, 4-2.
- Myka Sutherlin would surrender a run in the sixth but pitched a clean one, two, three inning in the seventh to pick up the complete game victory.
Up Next For the Tigers:
The Tigers look for the series win against LMU tomorrow at Bill Simoni Field. First pitch is set for 12:00 PM.
For more on the Pacific Softball program, be sure to follow @PacificSoftball on Twitter and Instagram.