Las Vegas, Nev.-
The first day of the UNLV Quad Tournament proved to be a success for the Tigers as they swept Weber State 7-0. In the doubles events, the Tigers secured the point by winning two of the three matches.
After earning the doubles point, the Tigers debuted in their new singles positions, and each of them succeeded. The freshmen on the team also seemed to have adapted exceedingly well. The veterans also cruised to an easy success.
In their second match of the day, the Tigers were defeated by No. 36 UNLV. The match was originally scheduled to take place January 21st, however due to predicted weather conditions, the match was rescheduled. The Tigers faced fierce competition against No. 36 UNLV. The Rebels have two nationally ranked players on their team, No. 121 Lucia Batta and No. 87 Aleksandra Josifoska. Though UNLV proved victorious, Pacific walked away with more experience and are now better prepared to face New Mexico on January 22nd.
At the conclusion of the day, Coach Chiene stated, "The girls competed really well today and I am very proud of them. We got our feet wet against Weber State taking two out of the three doubles to win the doubles point. We took that confidence into the singles and stayed focused to sweep all the singles. Knowing we were going to play UNLV today instead of tomorrow because of the horrible weather forecast for Saturday we kept our focus and did not waste our energy."
After the second match, Coach Chiene remarked, "We pressured No. 36 UNLV real tough in a few spots, and made them work for their points. Julia Hansen and freshman Iveta Masarova played outstanding tennis against two nationally ranked players with Iveta splitting the first two sets and losing in the Match Tie- Break 10-8. Freshman Regina Suarez fought back from losing the first set, winning the second set to force another Match Tie-Break at the No. 6 singles spot but losing 10-5. We actually played strong doubles against UNLV, winning at the No. 2 spot, as the scores at the No. 1 & No. 3 don't reveal that we did play real competitive doubles. We will learn and grow from today's matches and continue to get better every time we compete."
January 20th Results
Pacific 7, Weber State 0
1. Iveta Masarova/Summer Irvin (Pacific) def. Brittiny Moore/Ashley Tanner (Weber State) 8-5
2. Michelle Warwick/Nittaya Phonharath (Weber State) def. Julia Hansen/Gergana Boncheva (Pacific) 8-7 (3)
3. Susan Te/Regina Suarez (Pacific) def. Thais Kurer/Annika Karlsen (Weber State) 8-2
1. Julia Hansen (UOP) def. Brittiny Moore (WSU) 6-4, 6-0
2. Iveta Masarova (Pacific) def. Annika Karlsen (Weber State) 6-1, 6-1
3. Susan Te (Pacific) def. Ashley Tanner (Weber State) 6-3, 6-2
4. Gergana Boncheva (Pacific) def. Michelle Warwick (Weber State) 6-4, 6-4
5. Summer Irvin (Pacific) def. Thais Kurer (Weber State) 6-1, 6-3
6. Regina Suarez (Pacific) def. Nittaya Phonharath (Weber State) 6-1, 6-2
#36 UNLV 7, PACIFIC 0
Jan. 20, 2012 at Las Vegas (Fertitta Tennis Complex)
1. Aleksandra Josifoska/Nives Pavlovic (UNLV) def. Iveta Masarova/Summer Irvin (Pacific) 8-3
2. Julia Hansen/Gergana Boncheva (Pacific) def. Manon de Lanlay/Anett Ferenczi-Bako (UNLV) 8-2
3. Rumyana Terzieva/Lucia Batta (UNLV) def. Susan Te/Regina Suarez (Pacific) 8-1
1. No. 121 Lucia Batta (UNLV) def. Julia Hansen (Pacific) 6-4, 6-4
2. No. 87 Aleksandra Josifoska (UNLV) def. Iveta Masarova (Pacific) 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Nives Pavlovic (UNLV) def. Susan Te (Pacific) 6-3, 6-3
4. Manon de Lanlay (UNLV) def. Gergana Boncheva (Pacific) 6-1, 7-5
5. Anett Ferenczi-Bako (UNLV) def. Summer Irvin (Pacific) 6-2, 6-3
6. Ella Bouchier (UNLV) def. Regina Suarez (Pacific) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)