Las Vegas, Nev. (Fertitta Tennis Complex)
The Tigers walk away from the UNLV Quad tournament in second place, having only lost to the nationally ranked No. 36 UNLV. In their match on January 22nd, the Tigers defeated New Mexico State University with a final score of 5-2.
At the beginning of the match, the Tigers struggled against New Mexico's doubles strategy. Pacific came up short in all the doubles events which applied a great deal of pressure for the singles competitions that were to follow.
In the singles matches, the Tigers all modified their strategy and came back to secure the win by proving victorious in five of the six singles matches. Freshman Regina Suarez had an impressive win after battling it out against New Mexico's Mandy Mallen in an intense three set battle. Suarez's final score was 4-6, 6-0, 6-1.
At the conclusion of the tournament, Coach Chiene remarked, "We came away with the victory today, but the day did not start well. We did not play consistent doubles and made too many errors, but NMSU did play better than us so I give credit to them. My players showed their character by fighting back, taking it upon each one of them individually to be responsible for their own match. They responded big time! I thought we would win the top two singles, but Susan and Gergana in the middle of the line-up both gained impressive, solid wins. Summer struggled a bit, but Regina came back from 4-6 down to win 6-0, 6-1 and help us secure the match. We lost a close one last year to New Mexico 4-3 so this was a nice pay back. Nice to come out of Las Vegas with two team wins."
3. Ginet Pinero/Ros-Polly Nguyen (New Mexico) def. Susan Te/Regina Suarez (Pacific) 8-5
1. Iveta Masarova (Pacific) def. Manon Sylvain (New Mexico) 6-3, 6-3
2. Julia Hansen (Pacific) def. Denise Van Der Ben (New Mexico) 6-0, 4-2 retired
3. Susan Te (Pacific) def. Ros-Polly Nguyen (New Mexico) 7-5, 6-2
4. Gergana Boncheva (Pacific) def. Ginet Pinero (New Mexico) 6-4, 7-5
5. Natalia Salum (New Mexico) def. Summer Irvin (Pacific) 6-1, 6-3
6. Regina Suarez (Pacific) def. Mandy Mallen (New Mexico) 4-6, 6-0, 6-1
Final Score: PACIFIC 5, NEW MEXICO STATE 2