STOCKTON, Calif. - The Pacific women's tennis team seized their season opener at the Eve Zimmerman Tennis Center Friday afternoon with a 5-2 over the Academy of Art.
The Tigers start off 1-0 on the year.
In Case You Missed It
- The Urban Knights took the doubles point, 2-1 with Anna Ramos Vinolas and Yuki Asami picking up the Tigers' lone point.
- Down 1-0, the Tigers took control of the match in singles winning all but one match, to secure the victory.
- Karina Vyrlan, at No. 1 singles, grabbed her first win of the spring season in a three-set thriller, 4-6, 6-4, 7-5.
- At No. 2 singles, Maayan Sela quickly secured another point for Pacific with a 6-3, 6-0 win.
- Ramos Vinolas snagged her second point of the day rolling over Taisiia Andrieieva, 6-2, 6-4.
- Anneroos Nederstigt dropped her first set 4-6, but fought back to take the next two sets, 6-4, 6-4.
- At the No. 6 spot, Sabrina Rodriguez also lost her first set, 1-6, but followed with the comeback of 6-1, 6-4 to take the point and the Pacific win.
- In her first spring match as a Tiger, Dohee Lee battled tough against Alma Thell-Lenntorp but dropped the match, 7-6(5), 2-6, 7-6(5).
- This marks the second straight year the Tigers have defeated the Academy of Art.
Interim Head Coach Mike Erwin's Words
"After a tough start in doubles, we bounced back with solid individual efforts in singles to give us the team win. It was good to see our players step up to the challenge that our opponents presented today. They showed grit and composure which will help us as we get deeper into our season."
The Tigers continue their home stand on Sunday, Jan. 27th at 11 a.m. battling with the Seattle Redhawks.
Follow the Tigers
For more information about the Pacific women's tennis team, be sure to follow @pacificwtennis on Instagram and Twitter for updates.
Pacific women's tennis fans can follow all of the action as if they were in the front row of every match, providing access to score updates, statistics, game recaps and more with the new Pacific Tigers Front Row app available for free in the App Store and Google Play.