Pacific women's tennis picked up wins in doubles and singles on Friday at the Northridge Fall Invite hosted by Cal State Northridge. The Tigers battled stiff competition as well as high winds while smoke plumes raised into the air from the nearby southern California wildfires.
In case you missed it:
- In the Doubles A bracket, senior Anneroos Nederstigt and sophomore Dohee Lee picked up a victory in the opening round over UC Santa Barabara's Stephanie Yamada and Paterova, 6-3. However, Lee and Nederstigt fell in the second round to Emma Bardet and Lalita Devarakonda from Long Beach State, 6-3. The two will take on Cal State Fullerton's duo of Sarah Nuno and Jadie Acidera in the consolation round on Saturday.
- In the B bracket, Junior Karina Vyrlan and freshman Jacquie Tan lost in the opening round to Long Beach State's doubles team of Skyla Alcon and Ana Isabel Fraile Toboso, 6-2, but picked up a win in their first consolation draw match over UC Riverside's Tia Elpusan and Sara Khattab, 6-4. The two will play Grand Canyon's Emilia Occhipinti and Celina Buhr on Sunday morning.
- In the C draw, freshman Georgia Townsend and Anna Ramos Vinolas fell in both matches. In the opening round, it was Long Beach State's duo of Dominique Meyer and Wiktoria Rutkowska that picked up the win 6-3. In the second round, Grand Canyon's Valentina Mokrova and Martina Lo Pumo won, 6-4. On Sunday, the two will go for a victory over San Jose State's duo of Alba Pedero Galindo and Mathilda Vidgren.
- In the Doubles D draw, freshman Hannah Ketcherside and senior Sabrina Rodriguez dropped two matches. The first came to Northridge's Emma Roenholdt and Sibel Demirbaga, 6-2. In their second match, San Jose State's duo of Kristina Baran and Vigren won 6-0. Ketcherside and Rodrigues will compete again as a doubles team on Sunday against Sacramento State's Maria Gonzalez and Frana Ugarkovic on Sunday.
- In the Singles A draw, Tan played in a back and forth three-set match against CSUN's senior, Monika van de Vondel, but came out on the losing end, 1-6, 6-3, 6-0. She will play her first match in the consolation side of the A bracket on Saturday against Santa Barbara's Juliana Valero.
- Also, in the A draw, Lee picked up a three-set victory over Grand Canyon's Occhipinti, 6-1, 6-7, 6-2. She will face Santa Barbra's Dominika Paterova on Saturday.
- In the B draw, Nederstigt also advanced to the second round with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Northridge's Skyla Alcon.
- In the C draw, Vyrlan survived and advanced to the second round with a three-set victory over Long Beach State's Zara Lennon, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3. She will get an early-season look at a West Coast Conference opponent when she takes on BYU's Katie Fitt on Saturday.
- In the D draw, junior Ioana Popescu fell to Long Beach's Rutkowska 6-0, 6-3. She will play Sophia Lee on the consolation side of the bracket on Saturday.
- Also, in the D draw, Townsend fell to Kara Hinton in her opening match, 2-6, 6-3, 7-6. She will take on Youngstown State's Tamara Teufl on Saturday.
- In the E draw, Rodriguez dropped her opening match to Natalie Shamma from UC Riverside in three sets, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2. On Saturday, her tournament continues with her first consolation round match against Lilijana Semak.
Coach Mike Irwin's thoughts:
"The conditions were very tough on the court today in Northridge. The wind was gusting 20-30 mph and it was nerve-wracking for everyone to see the smoke cloud growing all day from the fire down here. All of our players had a great opportunity to gain experience by working through tricky situations. I'm proud of our players that picked up singles wins today and especially Dohee Lee, who was sick all day long. She really battled through it. Our team is showing a toughness that has lacked in the past. We are challenging them to look for lessons in their losses and to understand that wins and defeats are both important parts of their development. We're looking forward to more opportunities on the courts tomorrow."