Pacific women's tennis opened the 2019 spring season today at the Cal State Fullerton Spring Invitational in Fullerton. The Tigers took on Denver in doubles and Fresno State in singles on the first day.
The Tigers were outstanding against Fresno State taking four matches from a team they will see next weekend in the first duel match of the season. Against Denver in doubles, Pacific stumbled and dropped all three matches. The Tigers also got a sneak peek at West Coast Conference foe Santa Clara. Pacific played the Broncos in three singles matches.
Singles play (vs. Fresno State)
- Senior Anneroos Nederstigt defeated freshman Deniza Marcinkevica after winning in a tight second set, 6-3, 7-6.
- Freshman Ella Husrefovic took Pacific's freshman Jacquie Tan to three sets, but Tan prevailed, 6-2, 3-6, 6-4.
- Maya Lopez-Clay won in her first match as a Tiger over Fresno's freshman Jane Ellis, 6-3, 6-3.
- Freshman Georgia Townsend won in her match, 6-1, 6-1.
- Sophomore Dohee Lee fell in her match to Fresno's freshman Jennifer Timotin, 3-6, 5-7.
- Junior Ioana Popescu fell to Fresno's freshman, A.C. Hummel, 6-2, 6-3.
Singles play (vs Santa Clara)
- Karina Vyrlan fell in her first set, 6-1, but rallied to defeat junior Caitlyn Frankel in the second and third set, 6-3, 6-2.
- Senior Sabrina Rodriguez fell to freshman Lindsey Pesqueira, 6-3, 6-2.
- Freshman Hannah Ketcherside fell to sophomore Nadine Del Carmen, 6-3, 6-3.
Doubles play (vs Denver)
- Lee and Nederstigt fell to senior Bianca Mok and sophomore Camille Verden-Anderson, 6-0.
- Tan and Lopez-Clay fell to freshman Tatum Burger and sophomore Anna Riedmiller, 6-3.
- Popescu and Vyrlan fell to freshman Toni Nelson and redshirt senior Arisha Ladhani, 6-4.
- Rodriguez and Townsend fell to junior Hannah Templeton, who played with Ketcherside, 6-2.
Play at the Fullerton Spring Invite continues tomorrow.