IRVINE, Calif. - The women's water polo team finished out on top against No. 7 UC Irvine at Anteater Aquatics Complex on Friday.
No. 10 Pacific weathered a first half storm by the Eaters and utilized a 6-2 fourth period frame to secure their first victory of the weekend, 12-10.
The Tigers improve to 3-3 in nonconference play while UCI drops to 7-5 on the year. The Orange and Black will face No. 2 Stanford tomorrow, Feb. 23rd, at UCI's Barbara Kalbus Invitational at 10:30 A.M.
Pacific vs. UCI - In Case You Missed It:
- Both teams were in a constant battle throughout the majority of the match as neither team could gain a secure lead until the second half of the match.
- Brinnley Barthels led the team with 4 goals and registered a hat trick in the fourth period. Barthels scored the last goal of the game to aid the Tigers to a two-point win.
- In her second appearance of the season, Kyra Christmas lended a helping hand to the Orange and Black accounting for 3 assists 3 goals on the night.
- The Tigers found the back of the net with three goals in the first period to set the tone early in the match.
- Kyra Christmas drew her first attempted shot in the beginning of the match but later give an assist to Truly Dorland for the Tigers to put them on the scoreboard (6:44).
- Mariana Duarte was splashed in her first goal of the match off a penalty shot that put UOP ahead early at 5:38.
- Senior captain, Viktoria Szmodics, clawed her way through UCI's defense to score her first goal and bring the Tigers to a 3-1 lead at the end of the first.
- A tough start in the beginning of the second allowed the Anteaters to catch up and tie the match, 3-3. Kyra Christmas broke UCI's momentum however off a powerplay (4:28) and assist by Viktoria Szmodics.
- In the last seconds of the match, 0:25, Viktoria Tamas maneuvered her way past the Anteaters' defense and pull through with a goal to bring the Tigers back in the lead, 5-4.
- Following a timeout by UC Irvine, the Anteaters converted and scored a goal (0:19) to bring match back to a tie to end the half, 5-5.
- Following the break, UCI gained their first lead of the match (7:01) but the Tigers did not let that lead stand for too long as Brinnley Barthels scored her second goal of the night to bring the two teams back at a square off.
- The Anteaters tried to take a comfortable lead but Kyra Christmas stopped that as she connected off a penalty shot (1:38) and helped slice the Tigers' deficit to just 8-7.
- UC Irvine would score one more goal to end the period, however, putting them back up by two.
- The Tigers quickly changed the pace of the game in the final frame as Brinnley Barthels tallied in a score to bring UOP within one.
- Another goal by Kyra Christmas tallied her second hat trick of the season off an assist by Viktoria Tamas evening up the match, 9-9.
- Brinnley Barthels (5:35) was not done in the match as she knocked in her fourth and final goal help the Tigers take back the lead, 10-9.
- Pacific would keep UCI scoreless during the final two minutes of play and an extra goal by Barthels sealed the deal on a Friday night victory.
- Christmas and Barthels combined for seven of the Tigers' 12 goals on the night.
- UOP would convert 13-26 shots from the field. UCI would shoot 11-33 in the match.
- Clara Vulpisi made her presence known in the cage for the Tigers making a game-high 14 saves in the contest.
Up Next for the Tigers:
- The Tigers pick back up tomorrow with a 10:30 AM match against No. 2 Stanford.
- The Cardinal are coming off an 18-4 win against No. 21 CSUN Friday night.