IRVINE, Calif. - In the weekend finale of the Barbara Kalbus Tournament, the women's water polo team fell to No. 5 Hawaii on Sunday by a final score of 14-6.
The Tigers take sixth place in the tournament, earning wins against No. 6 Michigan and No. 7 UC Irvine and ending the weekend with a record of 2-2. They now hold an overall of 4-5 on the season. Hawaii improves to 11-2 on the year.
Pacific vs. Hawaii - In Case You Missed It:
- Five different Tigers each contributed a goal in Sunday morning's contest. Viktoria Szmodics led the way with a pair of goals for her team.
- Pacific scored three goals in the second period to stay within distance but the Rainbow Wahine would outscore UOP 7-2 in the third and fourth period to pull away.
- Five of the Tigers' six goals in the match came off powerplay opportunities.
- The Tigers would fall to a 3-0 deficit to open up the match. Kyra Christmas put the first points up on the board for UOP with 2:29 to go in the period. The junior would draw an exclusion and catch an assist from Szmodics for the score.
- Pacific had seven shot opportunities in the first frame.
- Junior Mariana Duarte opened up the second quarter with her first and only goal of the day. The Sao Paolo, Brazil native would also draw an exclusion (7:11) and send a ball to the back of the net on the following possesion. Viktoria Tamas dished out her first of three assists in the first half to Duarte for the score. All three of Tamas' assist would be recorded in the second frame.
- Hawaii would go on a 3-0 run before Szmodics would answer with a powerplay goal at the 1:32 mark.
- Savannah Fitzgerald (:40) ended the period in the Tigers' favor grabbing some much needed momentum with a goal.
- The Tigers would struggle to find the back end heading out of the break. Pacific took seven shots on goal but could not connect.
- Christmas led with three shots in the period.
- UOP would get some help from Brinnley Barthels (4:22) and Szmodics (2:36) as the senior duo each drove in a goal for the Tigers.
- Hawaii would add three more goals in the period to seal the victory for fifth place.
Up Next for the Tigers:
- The Tigers travel east to Ann Arbor, Mich. next weekend (March 2nd-3rd) to play in the annual University of Michigan Tournament.
- Pacific will face off against the No. 6 host Wolverines, Saint Francis University, Marist College, and No. 17 UC San Diego.
- UOP will kick off the Wolverine Classic with a double-header against St. Francis and Michigan next Saturday, March 2nd.