STOCKTON, Calif. - The women's water polo team pulled off a 13-7 win Saturday afternoon against No. 13 ranked LMU.
The seventh-ranked Tigers shined in their conference match against the Lions scoring seven of their 13 total goals in the second half to take the victory. Following their weekend series UOP improves to an overall record of 11-8 and 4-0 in GCC play.
LMU drops it's first match in four games moving to 17-9 for the season and 3-2 in conference.
Pacific vs. Azusa - In Case You Missed It:
- Pacific built themselves a steady lead heading out the gates as they poured in four goals to take a 4-0 lead with 4:02 to go in the first period. Brinnley Barthels, Kyra Christmas, and Viktoria Tamas would all play a part of the Tigers' charge each tallying a goal with Barthels punching in a pair.
- LMU found their way back in the match, however, sneaking one goal at even strength and a last second goal (:03) following a Tiger turnover to cut the lead in half after one, 4-2.
- Two unanswered goals by Christmas would open up the second frame for Pacific. This would be Christmas' fifth consecutive hat trick as she helped pad UOP's lead to 6-2.
- In the third, Barthels (5:06) floated in a beautiful goal to the upper-right portion of the cage just beyond the goalie's reach for her third goal of the day.
- A breakaway exclusion drawn by Truly Dorland (4:37) set up Christmas with her fourth goal in the contest off a 5-meter penalty shot. Freshman Clara Vulpisi would make a huge save on the following possesion blocking a shot off a 5-meter opportunity for LMU which gave UOP a some big momentum. Dorland would be rewarded in the same quarter as she took a pass from Christmas tacked on her only goal of the match (3:47). This pinned the score at 9-4.
- Pacific would go on to score four more goals in the final period to rout the Lions by a final of 13-7.
- Christmas notches two back-to-back matches with five goals recorded. The junior from Calgary, Alberta has been on fire for her team their past five matches tallying 28 of her 39 goals during this stretch.
- Following her four goal performance, Gr. senior Brinnley Barthels snapped a three-match drough without a goal. Her hat trick against the Lions would be her third of the season, moving her goal total to 18.
- Viktoria Szmodics adds to her streak of matches with a registered goal now with 12 consecutive games.
- As a team, the Tigers shot an efficient .481 percent from the field. They also capitalized on their powerplay drives converting 6-9 from the field.
Up Next For the Tigers:
- The Tigers hit the road next week as they travel back to Southern Cailfornia for two matches against No. 20 San Diego State (Apr. 12th) and Concordia (Apr. 13th).
- UOP takes on the Aztecs first next Friday and will wrap up the weekend against the Golden Eages on Saturday at Northwood High School Aquatics Complex.