SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The women's water polo team pulled off a 12-7 win on the road Friday afternoon against No. 16 San Diego State.
The eighth-ranked Tigers took a pivotal win against a very streaky Aztec team moving their overall record to 12-8 and an unbeaten 5-0 record in conference.
Following the loss, the Aztecs snap their five-match winning streak in GCC play dropping them to 15-13 overall and 5-2 in the GCC.
Pacific vs. San Diego State - In Case You Missed It:
- Kyra Christmas helped UOP find a ryhthm early on scoring her team's first two goals to take an early 2-0 lead. A staunch Tiger defense held the Aztecs scoreless through their first ten possessions. Pacific would allow just four shots on goal for SDSU. Three saves and a steal from freshman goalie Clara Vulpisi also kept UOP ahead after one.
- The Orange and Black extended their lead into the second frame as they would outscore the Aztecs, 3-1, to pull away. An efficient quarter from the field aided Pacific as Christmas, Mariana Duarte (4:36), and Brinnley Barthels (3:42) each found the back end shooting 3-3 from the field to start the period and finished 3-6.
- A chippy third period kept both teams at bay. Four exclusions were called in the third; SDSU would score off a 5-meter penalty early on but Viktoria Tamas (6:28) would answer with an even strength goal. Viktoria Szmodics drove in a score (4:32) to keep her team in good position. This would extend Szmodics' streak to 13 games with a goal scored.
- UOP opened up the match during the final period as they totalled five goals in the frame. Four Tigers would score in the period including sophomore Savanah Fitzgerald who tallied both of her goals in the quarter.
Up Next For the Tigers:
- The Tigers complete their two-game road trip tomorrow as they travel up to Irvine, Calif. for a 2:30 PM match against Concordia.
- The Eagles are 10-9 overall on the year, coming off a 10-4 loss to No. 25 California Baptist on Thursday.
- Live stats of the match between both teams will be provided.