FRESNO, Calif. - The women's water polo earned a grity 11-7 win against Fresno State in their GCC Seminfinal match on Saturday.
The Tigers, 16-8 overall, would stay consistent throughout the match holding on to a 6-4 advantage at halftime and outscoring the Bulldogs (13-15) 3-1 in the third period to pull away for the victory.
Pacific heads to it's fourth straight GCC title match tomorrow in a rematch against No. 3 LMU at 2:30 PM.
Pacific vs. Fresno State (GCC Semifinal Round) - In Case You Missed It:
- Both squads would battle back and forth from the opening jumpball. Mariana Duarte (7:02) got things started for on the Tigers' opening possession with an even strength goal and Kyra Christmas would punch in two of her game-high five goals in the frame. The Bulldogs would trail right behind, however, countering with two goals in the quarter to end the period down 3-2.
- The Orange and Black gave themselves some breathing room during the middle of the second period as Viktoria Szmodics (6:19) and Viktoria Tamas (5:57) would score on back-to-back drives. Truly Dorland would also catch a pass from Szmodics for the score to put UOP up 6-3. Fresno would convert off a powerplay at the two-minute mark however to trim the margin down to two approaching halftime.
- A dominating third quarter propelled the Tigers forward as they scored three straight goals and went 3-5 shooting from the field to take their largest lead of the match, 9-5. Pacific would add two more in the final frame to secure their eighth straight victory.
Up Next For the Tigers:
- The Tigers search for their third straight GCC title tomorrow afternoon as they take on No. 3 LMU.
- LMU pulled off a 10-5 victory against No. 2 San Diego State on Saturday.
- Match time for the Championship game is set for 2:30 PM. Live stream and stats will be provided.